Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wuthering Heights: Review

For my first book review, I thought I would review a book that I recently read for the first time: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I know what you're thinking: how have I gone my whole life without reading this book? It's a classic! There are a lot of classic books that I did not read when I was younger. My earlier reading days were mainly spent on Nancy Drew mysteries or Sweet Valley High. Of course there is nothing wrong with those books. Those books are the ones that started my love of reading! Now I have given myself the goal to read all the classics that I never got a chance to read.

First, let me explain my rating system. I will rate the books 1-5:

1 - I hate it and wouldn't even give it away
2 - I don't like it
3 - It's just okay
4 - I really, really like it
5 - I absolutely love it and couldn't put it down

I had high hopes for this book. Everyone talks about how romantic Heathcliff was and how great his love was for Catherine. But my hopes were very quickly dashed. If this guy is supposed to be the epitome of the romantic hero, then we are all in trouble.


The book starts with a Mr. Lockwood renting a cottage in Thrushcross Grange in the countryside. The owner is the sullen, hostile, mysterious (and this is supposed to be charming) Mr. Heathcliff. Mr. Lockwood falls ill and the housekeeper Ellen Dean (who has known Heathcliff since he was a child) starts narrating the story of Heathcliff, Hindley, and Catherine. She talks about the rivalry between Heathcliff and Hindley and the love that Heathcliff has for Catherine. When Catherine married Linton because he is better suited for her, Heathcliff disappears for a few years. When he comes back, he is determined to get revenge and this quest for revenge even moves into the next generation.

It took me a long time to get into this book, mainly because it took a long time for Bronte to get to the main story. I wasn't a fan of the Mr. Lockwood part of the story and I didn't like that the housekeeper was narrating instead of just telling the story. I didn't like any of the characters. Linton was a very dull man who was basically a doormat because he married Catherine even though he knew she loved Heathcliff. Catherine was a spiteful, narcissist who basically throws a tantrum every time she doesn't get her way. And Heathcliff is an abusive brute, who claims to love Catherine but also does everything he can to make her miserable (supposedly in the name of love). What was surprising was that even after the love story between Heathcliff and Catherine was over, the book wasn't even half over. The book continues with the next generation. If possible, Heathcliff is even more cruel to his own son, as well as Catherine's daughter (also named Catherine). The family and marital relationships to become a bit incestuous, but I think that was normal for Victorian times. The main thing I can say about this book is that there were parts of it that were written beautifully. But I just couldn't get past all the awful people.

I give the book a rating of 2/5.

8 comments :

  1. Ugh. I hate. I hate. I hate this book. Actually, not the book. But Catherine and Heathcliff. For me, they deserved what they got. That...sounds so mean. Sorry! I just. I'm thinking about re-reading this for my Thursday reviews. Hopefully, I'll have a better perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyous Reads, I am so glad I am not the only one!! So many people love this book. Let me know if you like it better the second time around. I was contemplating reading it again, but I just don't think I could bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same reaction. I read the book as part of a "Classics Challenge" as the romance selection, and kept wondering where the romance was. I thought that what was supposed to be love was some sort of sick obsession and all the characters were horrible people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Susan! And it was weird that the book kept going even after the "romance" (and I use that term loosely) part was over.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, yes. I pretty much despise every single character in Wuthering Heights, but particularly Catherine and Heathcliff. They seemed to care far more for revenge than love, so yeah, I agree with the above comments: no idea why it's considered "romantic".

    Have you read Jane Eyre, though? Would totally recommend that Bronte book, it's one of my favourite classics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danya, no I haven't read Jane Eyre yet. It is on my Kindle though so I have plans to read it. Glad to hear it is better than this one. :)

      Delete
  5. Ah, I liked this one! I even liked the awful people, just because they are so out there. As a young adult, I was pretty absorbed by how Heathcliff's obsessive love for Cathy causes him to do dreadful and terrible things. I was also swept away by the gothic elements. I also have a friend who does absolutely hilarious impressions of Joseph. But anyways, I understand why you didn't like the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also helped that I saw the movie beforehand. Ralph Fiennes made a big impression. :)

      Delete