Monday, March 23, 2015

Musing Mondays - Censorship

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! This is when we speak about bookish rants or issues, among other things.

For this week's topic, I am talking about censorship. I read a Washington Post article that talks about a new app, Clean Reader. This app will actually take just about any ebook and clean up the swear words. You can choose three categories: Clean, Cleaner and Squeaky Clean (I don't even think I want to know how they could get some books to Squeaky Clean). Now I do know that technically this app doesn't constitute censorship. And maybe some people (adults included) are just uncomfortable with swear words. But I can't help but think how that would change some books. I just finished listening to To Kill A Mockingbird. Listening to the story, hearing the N-word was startling and blunt and definitely made me uncomfortable. But isn't that the point? TKAM doesn't shy away from the racism experienced in the deep South.

From what the article says, this app was developed because the creators' fourth grade daughter informed them of some swear words in books she was reading. The ironic part was that their daughter was a bit of advanced with her reading and they wanted books that would challenge her. Instead of creating this app, couldn't these parents have had a discussion with their daughter about which words were in the book and why they were used? But no, their solution was to censor the words. In my opinion, that is no different than banning books. Now people are just banning certain words in the books. I do think that changing the original words of the author is censorship. Read it or don't read it. But don't ban it and don't change it. Is that really too much to ask? Of course the bright spot in this is that unlike the banning of books in schools, this app isn't being forced on anyone. People can choose whether to download this app and sanitize their favorite books.


What do you think of this app? Would you use it? Would you make your kids use it?

14 comments :

  1. Thanks for the link to the Washington Post piece, an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends solely on the person, as you mentioned it's their choice whether or not they use it. For me, I probably wouldn't use the app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Breana! I am glad that this is just a choice instead of being forced on others. People have a right to that. :) I guess it just rubs me the wrong way. But to each their own.

      Delete
  3. This gets into some interesting questions and thoughts.

    There are novels where certain inflammatory words are used -- and they're an essential part of the story. For giving us an idea of how the attitudes were of the era in which the novel was either written or taking place. I may not like to hear those words being used, but to erase them from the novels in question robs the novel of some of their power. Two that spring to mind are To Killing a Mockingbird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

    In some ways, this reminds a bit of the number of times you can use a certain word in a movie and have it be either PG-13 or R-rated. And it's how you can use the word that comes into deciding what rating the film might get. I love it when the filmmakers get creative in how this certain word is used...for example, see Hugh Jackman's cameo in X-Men: First Class.

    You can find my MM at nashvillebookworm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Michael. TKAM was the first book to come to mind when I thought of this as well. I just listened to the audio of that one. When the offensive language was being used, it made me uncomfortable. But like you mentioned, it was part of that time. Many people used those words back then. Thanks so much for your input.

      Delete
  4. Well, I would never use this app. I don't mind coarse language and, like you say, there's often a good reason for it being in a book. I also think it's pretty silly to censor a piece of art like that. That's the same reason I'm not a fan of censored music CDs and the like. I think that, if you don't like the content of a book, curse words or whatever, then you should avoid it or force yourself to push past your limits. As for children, I think it would be better to discuss with your kids appropriate words and why they were used rather than just hide them.

    That said, of course some people will want to use this app so I guess it's good that it exists for them. I wouldn't want to stop them from using it.

    Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right Cayt. And I would never want to stop people from using the app. I think that is as bad as the censorship itself. :) But yes, I agree: read it or don't read it. But you shouldn't change it. I guess it will just be a matter of personal choice.

      Delete
  5. I would never use something like this or make my future alien life form kids use it. I'm a strong believer that there's no such thing as bad words only bad ways to use those words. I've never once used to N word and there are certain ones like it that I don't think should ever be used outside of old books like To Kill A Mockingbird, but ever since I was little I've used curse words. My parents were fine with it as long as I knew when it wasn't appropriate to use then, IE, calling people them or using them in school. I think like you said it's better to discuss why they're used, and why you shouldn't normally use them than to just get rid of them.

    While I agree that this is better than banning books I think it's still wrong. Don't let your kids read those books if you want but don't change them to fit your beliefs either. Books are art, you can't just change it because you don't something about it.

    Realy great topic, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shay! You are so right. I just finished listening to the audio of TKAM. I think I may have flinched when I heard the N word. It was so disconcerting. But I get why the author used it. Times were so different back then. That was a word people used a lot, unfortunately. As horrible as that word is, I would never keep my child from reading the book and I would never use an app to clean that language up. I would just have a discussion with my child about it. And yes, people have a choice about what to read. So read it or don't, but don't change it. I just hate that.

      Delete
  6. This app is... I don't even know. I guess it all depends on a book? And the way the swear words are used in context? If they are unnecessary evil, then the use of the app would be beneficial. If not, then it defeats the purpose of the whole reading for enrichment kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Joyous Reads. I guess some parents might find it beneficial, but I couldn't imagine using it at all.

      Delete
  7. I recently listened to the unabridged audio version of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and also heard the N word as well as in this novel as well... I never use the N word ever, as I find the word itself offense, but that doesn't mean I don't think it should be censored in books like To Kill A Mockingbird or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I feel like this word is there for a reason and the author was using it for a reason that is appropriate or convey a certain meaning in the book itself. Changing the language in a novel because people find it offensive is wrong and is on par with banning a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I felt the same way when I listed to the audio of TKAM. I never use the N word and find it incredibly offensive and I am pretty sure I flinched when I heard it. But unfortunately, people in that time frame used that word a bit more freely. And like you said, the author has a purpose for using those words. I feel like if you can't handle the language, then just don't read it. Thanks so much for your input.

      Delete