Monday, March 9, 2015

Musing Mondays - Changes in Reading Preferences

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! This is when we speak about bookish rants or issues, among other things.

For this week's topic, I am talking about changes in my reading preferences. There are three things that I think have affected me as a reader:

1. Age/Time - When I was in high school, I admit I was very limited in what I read. Besides what I had to read for school, I read Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew, and mostly romance novels. This was in the days before the Internet so I didn't have access to the hundreds of titles I do now. I used to go to the library and go immediately to the romance paperbacks they had available. I think I gradually grew out of those around college. I guess I realized just how many other genres there are out there. I do still read romance novels today, but not nearly as much as other genres. Another thing that has caused a change in reading tastes is time. I notice that as I read more books, I compare them to books I read (and enjoyed) just a couple of years ago. For example, when I read the Twilight series several years ago, I really enjoyed it. I think I read the entire series in less than a week. But I have read so many series and so many books since then. I think if I read the series again today, I would not give it a five star rating. 

2. Blogging - I have not even been blogging for a year and yet, my tastes have changed. That is mostly due to all the many bloggers I follow. Thanks to you guys, my TBR list has grown considerably. Before I started blogging, I read some young adult and a lot of contemporary fiction. I had never read fantasy before. But reading all the wonderful reviews of my fellow bloggers has introduced me to books I never would have read before. For example, I had never read a book with faeries before. But I read The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black. Before I started my blog, I don't know that I would ever have given that book a chance. I am so glad I did because I loved it. 

3. NetGalley - Sigh. Oh NetGalley, how many books have I requested from you that I never would have read simply because they were free? Too many to count. I want to read all the books. I am not usually a fan of nonfiction, but I have requested several memoirs to diversify my reading. I never would have read If you find this letter or The Wild Oats Project, if not for NetGalley. 

Has your reading preferences changed at all due to age or blogging? Is there something you enjoyed reading that you never would have enjoyed before?

24 comments :

  1. Blogging has definitely changed what I read these days...and even before that, many changes happened gradually after high school and college. But I stuck to my comfort reads. Now there is more for me to choose from...here's my MUSING MONDAYS POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways NetGalley can be similar to going to the library or bookstore and zoning in on my favorite section. Or browsing to see if an author I've enjoyed in the past has something new that I can't wait to sink my teeth into.

    On the other hand, it's been nice to get some of the auto approved graphic novels that I may not have necessarily tried or might not have been picked up by my local library. Some are great..and then again some -- you get what you pay for. :)

    My MM is located at nashvillebookworm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true Michael. And like a library, I usually end up with way more books than I can read just because they are free. I love that I have got books from them I was going to buy anyway. Saves me money! But there are so many great books out there. I can't help all the requests I make!

      Delete
  3. LOL, same here with NetGalley!
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2015/03/musing-mondays_9.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valentina! Glad I am not the only one. :)

      Delete
  4. I think what you're describing is a natural progression. As we age, our tastes age with us, becoming more sophisticated. We also grow hungrier, suddenly that much more aware of just how many books are out there ( and how limited our time really is :) Blogging changes the equation quite a bit, though. You become part of a tribe of people who KNOW and UNDERSTAND your beautiful madness, and they're cheering you on. More, more, more! Lol :D If you want to visit with me, here's my home in the cyberspace http://www.mybookishlife.com/zen-monday-cajoling-the-sun/ Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you are so right Ramona! And the older I get, the more I realize I may not be able to read everything I want.

      Delete
  5. I think it was harder to find different books before the internet things improved for me when our local library used to shelve 'popular' books which had a wider range to start my exploration. My reading habits really broadened after being accepted onto Amazon Vine because like you I'm more likely to give something a go if it's free. Since blogging I'm more aware than ever of the breadth of books on offer and needless to say I want them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo! Yes I want ALL THE BOOKS! Haha

      Delete
  6. For me, I think its a little bit of both. I know for a fact that I've been enjoying books I would have never picked up before in a wider range of genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breana! Yes I have been reading several genres I would never have picked up even five years ago.

      Delete
  7. Like you I started out reading a lot of romance and still do. However like you blogging and the internet has changed what I will try reading. Also the amount of books to read is just mind boggling. Once I was living in a small town in a small country with no library. (It has one now and the town has exploded). Now just about anything I want to read is available to me and I have so many choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Kathryn. I swear, the Internet is a double edged sword. I almost wish I didn't know about all these new choices. :)

      Delete
  8. This is a great prompt. I wish I can say that I've fully moved on from YA, but I'd be lying. There are a lot of factors that dictates my tastes in reading, and once I figure it out, you'll be the first to know. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's funny Joyous Reads. And as much I have tried to diversify my reading, I do find that YA is still my favorite genre.

      Delete
  9. I agree. Bloggers have shaped my reading lately. It opened up my world to more genres and books.

    https://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/musing-mondays-mailbox-monday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! I am glad I am not the only one. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, I completely agree. Age/Time plays a huge role in changes in reading preference! Mostly because you're exposed to a lot more books as you go on in life, and you can look back on previous books and go, why the heck did I give that such a high rating?? Twilight is definitely a good example of that.

    And yes, blogging! Blogging has definitely meant that I'm exposed to a lot of books that I wouldn't have before- both through looking through other people's blogs, and also through unsolicited review copies. I actually discovered a book twin (someone who almost always rates books the same way I do) through blogging, and so I get a lot of recommendations from her too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nara! Like you, I have found a blogger (actually several) that has the same taste as me. It is better because I can usually trust their reviews. But it sucks because I add so many more books to my TBR because of it.

      Delete
  11. My book preferences are pretty much the same after starting my blog, but also because I want to blog about what I like, not dependent on what other people like. But of age, YES! I read a lot of YA when I was in fact a young adult(or a teenager, let's face it, it's what it means), and I didn't read as many epic fantasies as I do now. I've definitely gone to the fantasy-site a lot more! But I've always loved, like, Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Silly Girl, I know this will sound crazy but I have never read Harry Potter. Ha. And I completely agree about only reading stuff that you like. That is why I don't mind marking a book DNF. But when so many bloggers rave about a certain book or series, sometimes I can't help but want to try it. :)

      Delete
  12. Haha, we have many common actions and thoughts. My blog will be a year of age in July 2015 for instance, so I'm such a newbie too.I've been like blogging for 7 months. hmm :P But I love it and will keep it as long as I can! And, when I'll finish my studies and get a real job, I will hire someone to do my design and be self hosted and stuff. xd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet another newbie Lola! I am hoping to keep at it as long as I can too. I think as long as we think of it as something we want to do and not put too much pressure on it, we should be fine. :)

      Delete