Monday, March 16, 2015

Musing Mondays - Harper Lee News

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! This is when we speak about bookish rants or issues, among other things.

For this week's topic, I am talking about the Harper Lee news regarding the sequel of To Kill A Mockingbird called Go Set A Watchman. So unless you have been living under a rock, you are aware of the news regarding the To Kill A Mockingbird sequel. I am also sure that you have heard rumors that maybe Harper Lee was being taken advantage of and maybe she really didn't want this sequel published. I was never as skeptical as many others were; maybe I am just an eternal optimist. Here is the so-called "evidence" that Harper Lee was being taken advantage of.

  1. Lee's sister (and lawyer) died last year. 
  2. Harper Lee is blind and hard of hearing. 
  3. Harper Lee is elderly.
  4. Harper Lee has stated that she did not want to publish another novel due to the intense media scrutiny from To Kill A Mockingbird.
Honestly, none of these items are evidence that Harper Lee doesn't know what she is doing. The fact that she is elderly and has health issues is no reason to think that she is not fully capable of giving consent. My grandmother is close to Harper Lee's age and if I even hinted that she was not of sound mind, I am pretty sure she would slap me. When these reports that she was being taken advantage of came out, there were no reports from her doctors saying she was incapable of giving consent. There was also a friend of hers who came out with a statement to say that yes, Harper Lee is hard of hearing, but she is still of sound mind. But not many media outlets reported that. I also think it's possible that Harper Lee changed her mind about publishing another novel. She is still very reclusive and doesn't want many dealings with the media. That doesn't make her crazy; that makes her very, very sane.

The latest news is that there was an anonymous complaint to the state of Alabama about potential elder abuse. Not only did this person think Harper Lee was incapable of giving consent for Go Set A Watchman, but they suggested she was not being cared for properly in her living assisted facility. According to reports, that investigation has been closed. It has been determined that Harper Lee does want Go Set A Watchman to be published. The problem is that people are STILL not satisfied with this. I have read the comments for some of these articles and they are still wanting proof that she wants this book published and they do not believe anything. This makes me so incredibly mad. People need to stop assuming and realize they know nothing of Harper Lee's mental heath. I am pretty sure the state of Alabama knows what they are doing regarding the suspicion of elder abuse and I am pretty sure they don't take these complaints lightly. Even though I was never skeptical of the release of this book, I am still glad that this investigation happened. I am hoping that it will calm some people's fears and doubts and allow them to enjoy the sequel.

Personally, I am beyond excited for the sequel. I just listened to the audio book of To Kill A Mockingbird (narrated by Sissy Spacek). I loved that story now just as much as I did years ago. Harper Lee is an amazing writer and I can't wait to read Go Set A Watchman. I have the book on preorder with Amazon! 

What do you think of this Harper Lee controversy? Are you excited about the sequel?

21 comments :

  1. This is such a wonderful rundown of where things are with Harper Lee and her new book. I was one of the ones that was excited about it, and then began to question it when all the issues you listed above came to light. But I can appreciate the result of the investigation and as long as she's okay with it, I am looking forward to this.

    here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/weekly-events/musing-mondays-9/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Verushka! I am glad that all of her fans can enjoy the book with a clear conscience. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you have said. At the end of the day, Harper Lee will know herself what she can and can't physically or mentally do. My granny is the same, she would slap me if I told her she couldn't do something (she is perfectly capable of making up her own mind and then letting you know if she needs help).

    On a different note, I love To Kill a Mockingbird and can not wait for the new book.

    Here's my musing: http://myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/musing-mondays-16-march.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! I can just picture my grandmother if I even suggested such a thing. She is ornery enough as it is. Haha. I loved the book so I am beyond excited for the sequel.

      Delete
  3. Have very mixed feelings about the new book - we haven't heard all the arguments for and against over here. My concern is purely selfish - her book was/is and always be my top fav book and I am very concerned this new book will be a let down.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alberta, oh I do agree with that point. TKAM was such a great story. I REALLY hope the sequel holds up. I think that is the only part that scares me. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited too, of course, but I do wonder... She's finished this book a long time ago. Methinks that if indeed she wanted to share it with a world, she would've done so previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, from what I understand she did submit this one to begin with. But her editor wanted the childhood story of Scout instead and so she wrote TKAM. She actually thought the manuscript was lost. But she did give a quote about the sequel and said she was "happy as hell" to have the sequel published. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree that she changed her mind...after all, doing so is our prerogative, isn't it? LOL

    Being elderly does not equal mentally unsound...nor does reclusive suggest that you don't want to bring out another book.

    I am frustrated by the press, and notice how they only report the negative aspects, without any proof of anything.

    Thanks for sharing...and here are my BLUE MONDAYS MUSINGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! The media drives me crazy for this reason and so many others. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I wasn't aware of the issues surrounding Harper Lee, I hope they stay as they are: rumors. I'm excited with you Cynthia. I would be more than elated to read a squeal to To Kill A Mockingbird. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! I think I was squealing with glee when it was announced! So excited. :)

      Delete
  8. I wasn't aware of the controversy either. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but must reread it before the next one comes out. I have it on audio so will listen to it. As Laurel Rain says a woman may change her mind, HL obviously chose her right to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I actually just finished the audio of TKAM last week! I wanted to reread it before the sequel. I am not usually a fan of audio books, but I love Sissy Spacek. I hope you get to the audio soon. I loved it!

      Delete
  9. It is a shame that such doubt has been poured on the author's wishes. As much as I want to read the book there is an underlying feeling that she may have been pressurised and that makes me uncomfortable. If she's just changed her mind that's great for us all and we can enjoy the book with a clear conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Cleo. There was a quote Harper Lee gave to the investigators. She said she was "happy as hell" that the sequel will be published. Hopefully that helps quell some doubts. :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird so I don't feel like I can say much on this topic. But it does seem like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breana, it is an AMAZING story!! I hope you can read it soon. :)

      Delete