Monday, July 20, 2015

Beach Reads: Recommendations Needed

First of all, I don't normally like the phrase “beach read.” In my opinion, I think that any book you take to the beach can be considered a beach read. It’s really that simple. 
But then I think about this heat: this ridiculous, soul sucking heat. (And for those of you who aren’t experiencing Summer right now . . . . can I come stay with you for the next few months?? Please . . . .)

This is the temperature right now in Italy.
Notice that the LOW for the evening is 77 degrees. Ugh, we are experiencing a heat wave of epic proportions. The day after I got back from Scotland, there were power outages all over Italy. Do you know what that means? No power = NO AC!!! Forget Internet, forget television and forget the fact that I couldn’t cook anything . . .  I felt the loss of the air conditioner more than anything. And it was out from 9:30 in the morning until 10:00pm at night.

So what does this have to do with the post? Don’t worry, I’m getting to it. With no Internet or TV or power, the only thing I could do was read. The problem was that it was way too hot and sticky to read anything complicated. At the time, I was in the middle of Rook by Sharon Cameron. Don’t get me wrong, that is an awesome book. But I was in no mood for the complicated plot. Looking through my Kindle, I noticed a pattern: just about every single book on my Kindle fell into two categories: 1) they were about heavy topics, like death or mental illness or 2) they had super involved, complicated plots that required way more brain power than I was prepared to give. I finally found one book that didn’t require a lot of brainpower: We’ll Always Have Paris (awesome book, by the way).


Well now that our AC is back (thank goodness!!!), I am finding myself in desperate need of something lighter, something that doesn’t require a lot of brainpower to enjoy. But I am at a loss! 

I am looking for recommendations from you, my wonderful readers. I don't necessarily care about the genre, I just want something light and fluffy, something that doesn't require a lot of thought to get through.

What beach reads would you recommend?

13 comments :

  1. Ah yes I love reading light fluffy contemporaries! How about On The Fence by Kasie West, To All the Boys I've Loved by Jenny Han or Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson? Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeann! I actually just finished Since you've been gone (loved it). I will check out your other recommendations. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. Ah I love fluff! I agree with To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Also Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, Emily Giffin books, the Anna and the French Kiss series. On the Island isn't fluff but is a good summer read - Hope you find something good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I can't believe I forgot about Emily Giffin. I have read a couple of her books, but not in a while. Thanks so much for the recommendations.

      Delete
  3. My latest read, Hidden, is pretty easy on the brain cells but still good. How about short stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, short stories are great! Thanks for the recommendation of Hidden. Who is the author?

      Delete
  4. Hubs is in Italy at the moment, so I know it's amazingly hot :( It's hot over here as well. Thank goodness for the AC! Beach reads? Have you read the Immortal Beloved series? It's smart, super funny and pretty fast-paced :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your husband in Italy for pleasure or business? I swear, you couldn't pay me to get out there and sightsee right now. Ha. And No, I haven't read that series. I will check it out. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I recently read Eight Hundred Grapes and thought it was perfect for summer! And another one I enjoyed--The Summer We Read Gatsby, the setting is a beach. Oh, and The Vacationers was good. And I'm currently reading The Rocks and enjoying it. So many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Kwizgiver, I have read Eight Hundred Grapes and that is a good summer read. Too bad I already read it earlier this year. Ha. The Summer We Read Gatsby sounds interesting. I will check out your recommendations. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. SO sorry about your lack of AC - you must be dying over there!!! I love a light, fluffy romance now and again too. I recommend Miranda Kenneally's books - her last one (Jesse's Girl) was an especially quick read and super fun and sweet. Oh, and (maybe even better) - CJ Duggan's Summer Series. Her first book is one of my absolute favorite mature YA/NA romances!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Yes, I really need to get Jesse's Girl or some of her other books because I have heard such great things. And I loved Breathe, Annie, Breathe. I will also check out that Summer series. If it is among your favorite romances, I need to check it out for sure!

      Delete
  7. I finished Little Beach Street Bakery not too long ago, and I think that would fit the bill nicely for your situation. I'd also recommend The Winner's Curse, and The Wrath and the Dawn. Both are lovely, consuming reads that should help you forget about the heat for a little while. Good luck managing the lack of A/C!

    ReplyDelete