Friday, July 17, 2015

Scotland!

I have been back from my vacation in Scotland for over a week now and I still feel like I am on vacation . . . or maybe that is just wishful thinking because I loved Scotland so much.

Scotland was amazing and had some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen. No, this is not a bookish post but I wanted to share some of these beautiful pictures. I swear, every place we went looked like it came from a postcard. And we got incredibly lucky with the weather. With the exception of one day, it was sunny and beautiful all week. 

First we flew into Edinburgh and spent a few days exploring the city. 
Then we rented a car for some exploring. We drove to St. Andrews, where we walked the oldest golf course in the world. I am not even a fan of golf, but I was still in awe of the beautiful course. And we actually got to walk on the course, where Tiger Woods has walked before! Then we explored the ruins of the nearby castle and cathedral. St. Andrews is a beautiful town.

Next we took a very scenic drive from St. Andrews to Fort William. We passed through the Trossachs National Park and Glencoe. Yeah, these pictures are just a few of the beautiful ones we took. This was really the only day where it rained off and on all day. Even with all the clouds and the rain, it was still beautiful scenery!

Next was the Jacobite train in Fort William! I really get why this is one of the most scenic train routes in the world. It was so beautiful. And we were lucky to have a great seat by the window and all that scenery. Now I have never seen Harry Potter, but Harry Potter fans should recognize the train. Apparently, the kids rode in this very train in one of the movies!

Finally, we went to the Urquart Castle, which was right on Loch Ness. It was such a gorgeous day!

I hope you enjoyed my pictures of Scotland! I can't wait to go back!

21 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness - SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Really the pictures are lovely and it looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Grace I had an amazing time. Scotland is gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. AHH I WANT TO GO TO SCOTLAND. I mean, I did before, but I want to even more now. Omg! Iconic train! And all those green hills = yes please and thank you. x) So great that you had a fabulous time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cait! You really need to go to Scotland. It is amazing!!

      Delete
  3. Those pictures are just wonderful! I love that you shared them. Yes, I recognize the train. How fun to get to ride on it and also have a good seat. And St. Andrews. Well, my husband and I are planning a trip for a couple of years from now to Scotland and especially St. Andrews. He's a big golf enthusiast and wants to play there. Just once. Again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kay. If your husband loves golf, he will love St. Andrews. I am so glad we were able to actually go on the course, even though we weren't playing. :)

      Delete
  4. You have made my home country look beautiful! My husband has been working in St Andrews the last few weeks and he was hugely excited (as a golf nut) for the British Open tournament being on whilst he was there but it looked you picked the right time to visit as there has been bad wind and gales.

    Glad you had a fantastic time!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Your husband is lucky to be spending so much time at St. Andrews. We were so grateful that the weather was so beautiful on the day we went. It would probably be nice to be at the British Open, but at the same time, I am kind of glad we went before all that madness started. It was not crowded at all and we would never have been able to walk the course if the British Open had been happening.

      Delete
  5. We spent a week in Scotland in May and it is beautiful I agree. We stayed near Stirling and I loved it. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, we also stopped in Stirling to see their castle. It is a beautiful area!

      Delete
  6. What, no pictures of the Loch Ness monster? You must've picked the wrong day to be there :P The pics look amazing! I'm glad you had fun - it looks as though you visited quite a few interesting locales :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ramona, yeah I think my husband was secretly disappointed there was no monster sighting. :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shots! Sounds like an amazing trip. Can't wait to go myself some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was pretty amazing. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness!! So beautiful!! Scotland just went up to the top of my "must visit" list!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Nicole, you need to go. It is beautiful!

      Delete
  9. OMG! It is GORGEOUS! Definitely adding Scotland to my "travel bucket list". I love how green and peaceful it seems. And come on, CASTLES! I am so glad you had such a lovely time! Thanks for sharing the fabulous photos with us so we can live vicariously :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon! Scotland is amazing. I honestly didn't expect to fall in love with it as much as I did. I am so glad my husband chose it for his birthday trip. It was so beautiful.

      Delete
  10. Gosh, what an adventure Cynthia! Scotland is one of those countries I long to visit, but New Zealand is a must! Still and all, Scotland is just as breathtaking as I imagined it would be. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete