Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Fellow Book Nerds Unite!

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic is top ten characters who are fellow book nerds.

1. Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - One of my favorite fictional book nerds. When Scout's teacher told her not to read at home anymore, I was in as much despair as Scout.

2. Perdu from The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George - Even though parts of this story dragged a bit, I love the idea of a bookseller who recommends the perfect book to a customer based on what their problem is. And the setting of Paris did not hurt!
3. Cassie from The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey - Cassie is trying to survive an alien invasion, but in every house she raids, she looks for any new books she can find in addition to little items that can help her survival. Priorities, people. She carries around a copy of Huckleberry Finn, along with some poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (one of my favorite books).

4. Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - Cath is the biggest book nerd of them all! She loves the Simon Snow book series so much that she creates fanfiction based on it. Love her.

5. Matilda from Matilda by Roald Dahl - Ahhh, Matilda. I watched the movie long before I read the book and fell in love with her. Of course, the fact that she read Great Expectations at four years old is a bit intimidating. 
6. Hazel from The Fault In Our Stars by John Green - She was so obsessed with a book that she tracked down its author in Amsterdam just so she could find out how it was supposed to end. Awesome. Who hasn't wanted to do that about a book with an incomplete ending??
7. Sarah from The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd - She loved books so much, but her father did not think that was a worthwhile hobby for a girl. You know, learning is bad and everything that was sarcasm, by the way). She gets so upset when her father bars her from the library. I don't blame her at all.
8. Alice from The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books we Shared by Alice Ozma - I know this one is actually nonfiction, but I just had to include it. Alice and her father make a pact to read together every single night, starting when she is in fourth grade. Somehow they actually maintain this streak until college, even through puberty and teenage hormones and sleepovers. It's a pretty awesome book. 

9. Liesel from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I just read it a couple of weeks ago. It is now one of my favorite books. I absolutely love how obsessed with words Liesel was . . . even before she knew how to read, she knew how important they were. 
10. Rory from Gilmore Girls - Yes, I am aware that she is not a book character, but I don't even care. I had to include her. She is my favorite television character ever. Yes, she really took a book with her everywhere and her idea of a perfect date was going to a bookstore. I can relate.



Who are some of your favorite fictional characters who are fellow book nerds?

38 comments :

  1. Brilliant list Cynthia! :-) Scout is such a great choice!
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I got Hazel and Cassie!!!! Both of them are characters in some of my favourite books, I feel like I've let them down :( Surprised to see Hermione didn't make your list though! Great post :)

    Here’s my list if you want to have a look :)

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Actually, she didn't make my list because I have never read Harry Potter, Shocking, I know. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ahh I added Rory too!!!! It didn't feel right not to add her. I also had Hazel and Cath. I can't believe I forgot Scout - Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace! I know Rory is a TV character, but she will always have a special place in my heart. :)

      Delete
  4. AHHHH I want to watch Gilmore Girls JUST for Rory. and, well, kinda of Jared Padalacki. So mostly for Rory?! HAHA. Ahem. But yesss...I love TKAM and TFIOS and Matilda. Matilda was always my hero with her passion for books.
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cait, yes Rory is AWESOME!!! Watch it!!! Ha

      Delete
  5. I so wanted to include Rory Gilmore on my list but she was not from a book! Great list here and some of my favs, for sure. I didn't use Cath from Fangirl even though she was my first Rainbow Rowell character but Eleanor and Park to get some diversity in my bookish nerds.

    My Top Ten List ~ Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I would have included Eleanor and Park, but I completely FORGOT about the comics angle. Oh my book memory is horrible! As much as I enjoyed Fangirl, Eleanor and Park is still my favorite Rowell book.

      Delete
  6. Haha, love that you mentioned Rory on your list! I totally could relate to her when I was watching the show because of her love of reading :) Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I LOVED how Rory was always reading a book during her lunch break at school. I used to do that all the time. Ha

      Delete
  7. That's so funny that you included Rory! My first draft included Belle from Beauty & the Beast. :) And then I lost my 1st draft, which is too bad, since I had Cath from Fangirl on the list and then forgot about her when I actually put my post together. Glad to see someone else remembered her! Matilda is such a great pick too. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bookshelffantasies! Man, if I was making a list of favorite TV book nerds, Belle would be at the top of the list. I was so jealous of the library she got because she was with the Beast. Phenomenal!

      Delete
  8. OMG you did so well!! I totally chickened out on this topic. I have a horrific memory when it comes to details like this, so I came up with only two and decided maybe this week wasn't for me. LOL Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I was scared too. I had to look on my Goodreads shelf to jog my memory. I even googled "book nerd characters in books." Those lists made me remember ones I had actually read. Ha

      Delete
  9. Love Matilda! Love Rory! What a great topic!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had Rory on my list too. She is the ultimate book nerd! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hiddenstaircase. I love Rory so much!

      Delete
  11. I am literally "squeeing" over your list! It's perfect. The Invention of Wings made my list, too, and I'm kicking myself over forgetting Cath! Here's my <a href="http://bookishginger.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday_28.html>TTT</a>. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie. I am so glad that The Invention of Wings made your list too! I haven't seen that one on anyone else's list. :)

      Delete
  12. I love that you included Rory! I have Cath and Matilda and Liesel on my list, too. Aren't they the best? And Scout! How could I forget Scout?! Hazel is also a great character. And I had totally forgotten that Cassie was bookish. I didn't really love the 5th Wave though, so maybe I just blocked it out. I tend to just dismiss books from my brain that don't resonate with me. For better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bookmark Dragon! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy 5th Wave, but I get what you mean. I did enjoy the series, but I think the main reason I still remembered was because Shel Silverstein was included in her reading material. Yes, Where the Sidewalk Ends is totally one of my favorite books. :)

      Delete
  13. Great picks! Cath made my list too but some of these I still need to read! The 5th Wave (carrying around poems) sounds great!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! You must read The 5th Wave. I love that one!

      Delete
  14. I'm so upset that I forgot about Cath! I did have Matilda and Hazel Grace on my list though. :) I've wanted to check out The Little Paris Bookshop for a while. It sounds good!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystianna! There were parts of The Little Paris Bookshop that dragged a bit, but it is still enjoyable. I love how much he loves books!

      Delete
  15. I KNEW there was something about books in The 5th Wave, but I honestly was too tired and lazy to look it up at that point. Thank you, because I feel less crazy now (only slightly, don't worry!) And um, the only other one I've read os TFIOS. Oops? But I DID know that Rory was a bookworm ;) Fabulous list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Ahhhh, I can't believe those are the only ones on my list you have read! We are book soul mates, remember. ;) You must get on that.

      Delete
  16. I love when books have bookworm characters, great list!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to include The Book Thief, but I haven't read it yet. Is it good?
    I followed you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following me Ilina! And YES, you MUST read The Book Thief. I just read it for the first time last week and it's unbelievable. It is one of my new favorite books ever. It is incredibly beautiful, but also very devastating. Be prepared for tears!

      Delete
  18. I LOVE the quote from To Kill a Mockingbird :D Great list! I've seen Fangirl on a few lists now, I've never read it but it's on my tbr list now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I actually have that quote on my cell phone case. I love it. :) You really must read Fangirl. It is so awesome.

      Delete
  19. I am very shocked to see a lack of Scout from the TTT lists this week - great catch there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I was thinking the same thing! I think I saw her on two other lists and that's it. But maybe it was easier for me to remember because I purchased a cell phone with that quote on it. Oh, and I did reread the book a few months ago, so it was fresh in my mind. :)

      Delete