Thursday, September 17, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Fairest: Levana's Story (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

This is a book review for Fairest: Levana's Story (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer.

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 

If it hasn't been said before, I will say it now: Marissa Meyer is a GENIUS. Yes, you heard me right . . . a GENIUS. How else can you explain her wonderful tale that actually makes me feel sorry for Levana? Yes I know she is a super villain, but this book tells her story and she didn't start out that way.

The book does explain how Levana got her scars and why she never lets anyone see her true face. She starts out as the lonely  second daughter to an evil queen. Her sister, Channery, takes the crown when their parents are killed and then produces an heir, Selene. There were mentions of several characters from the first books and it was nice to hear how their stories started as well. Meyer does a remarkable job of showing how lonely Levana is and how desperate for love. When she becomes obsessed with a palace guard at the young age of fifteen, I ached for Levana and the disappointment I was sure would follow.

Because of her obsession with the guard and the obsession with gaining control over the entire universe, Levana does some questionable things. Okay, okay, she does some evil and loathsome things. But Meyer's genius comes in when she can still make me feel sorry for Levana, even at her lowest. This is a prequel so I know what happens and just how much destruction Levana can bring. That doesn't stop me for rooting for Levana to change. And as evil as Levana was, I was still rooting for her to find love and a happily ever after. But alas, that was not meant to be. This was such an engaging, awesome book! I cannot wait for Winter!!!

Buy/Borrow/Skip: If you love this series and love fantasy, buy this one!!


8 comments :

  1. I am really excited to get this one now that I finished the first three. I can't wait to see how I can feel bad for Levana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. Unexpected, lol :) It does take a great writer to make you care for someone as loathsome as Levana. Can't wait for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, ME TOO!!! I have it on preorder. So excited!!

      Delete
  3. Gosh I need to keep reading the series. I just read cinder than stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top OfTheBookShelf, yes you really do. The entire series is amazing. I really think that every book is even better than the last.

      Delete
  4. I keep wanting to read this one. My feelings towards the entire Cinder series is that I like it, but I don't seem to love it, like the rest of the bloggers. But I am really curious about Meyer's approach to a storyline that is a little less fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I really think you should read it then. I am sorry you aren't in love with this one. I LOVED how Marissa Meyer dealt with the villain storyline. It was just so amazing.

      Delete